Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Sacrament in search of theology

I've just been reading up on the sacrament of confirmation. I did a little googling on my own to find out what would happen during my confirmation at the Easter Vigil. On Palm Sunday, T. gave me this really great book of prayers which included a section on the sacraments and it outlined everything everybody was going to be saying, so I knew from reading the prayers that it had something to do with the Holy Ghost coming upon me. Maybe? I've always been a little fuzzy on the Holy Ghost anyway.

It recently occurred to me (as in about an hour ago) that I don't remember learning about what confirmation actually is in RCIA, even though I know we spent six weeks on the seven sacraments (for the curious, Holy Matrimony and Holy Orders were combined into one class). I have the sneaking suspicion that the one class I missed on the day I had food poisoning was the confirmation lesson. Just my luck.

So I've been reading, because that's what I do, and it seems as though I basically knew the hows and the whats when it comes to confirmation, but I didn't really know the whys. And I always like to know the whys. According to the encyclopedia on the Catholic Answers website, my confirmation was sort of a completion of my baptism, in the sense that one can't age unless he's already been born. The Holy Ghost is given to the recipient of confirmation to strengthen him and to make him a soldier of Jesus Christ. (It sounds a little like the armor of God.) The article states the following effects:
Confirmation imparts (1) an increase of sanctifying grace which makes the recipient a "perfect Christian'; (2) a special sacramental grace consisting in the seven gifts of the Holy Ghost and notably in the strength and courage to confess boldly the name of Christ; (3) an indelible character by reason of which the sacrament cannot be received again by the same person.
 I'm told even though I didn't fully understand the ins and outs of what was happening, it still counts. Which is nice, because I knew enough to know it was kind of a big deal. I feel a little sheepish that I didn't truly understand the purpose of the sacrament at the time, but even then I considered the night I was received into The Church, confirmed, and allowed to participate in the Eucharist for the first time to be the Best Day Ever. Now that I know more, I can appreciate it even more. Hopefully I can live up to the purpose of the sacrament.

Bonus feature: I have an Easter hat that will forever smell of chrism oil. An ongoing outward sign of the Best Day Ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment